Monday, August 25, 2014

Army Navy's Islander Cousin, Coco Hut Fried Chicken & Fish

My dad just got back from an out-of-town trip and wanted to eat out. It was already about 830PM then. Unsure of up to what time restaurants would be open, I suggested a 24-hour place based on recommendations from a good friend, Ruth.

Coco Hut Fried Chicken and Fish is a very familiar restaurant. Most of the food on the menu may have been something you've already tried or something that they've tried to make their own. Entering the restaurant would give you the same feel as Army Navy, which is its sister company. After getting out of the elevator in CommerCenter, you are presented with two very similar boards that show the menu of Army Navy on the left, and Coco Hut on the right. Even entering it felt so familiar except for some tweaks on the interiors. Things were more tropical and but the layout was practically the same.


For that night, I ordered the Kani Cake, Hut Chicken - Thigh, and a large Teamarind.


Accompanying the Kani, each piece of Kani Cake had Jalapeno, Cheddar, and Mozzarella. Sweet chili sauce was served on the side but it wasn't really necessary. This was alright for an appetizer. I only finished one though. 


The Teamarind, as expected, would remind you of Army Navy's Libertea but with sampaloc. It was too sour on the first sip but you'd get used to it. The best part of the experience was the Hut Chicken. It was a big, satisfying piece and the spiciness was just right. It still did remind me of Army Navy's chicken except for that good amount of hot zing  that doesn't stay too long.

I'd probably try the fish on my next visit but I definitely wouldn't pay P175 for Galunggong. 

Coco Hut is located at Bridgestone Building, Commerce Avenue corener Filinvest Avenue. It's right across Acacia Hotel. I'd give it 3.5 out of 5 for now. Maybe that will go up if I get to visit it more often. Underground parking is available.

No comments:

Post a Comment